ServiceMaster Restore Experts Urge Preparedness as #Harvey Bears Down on Texas Gulf Coast
Public Company Information:
MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As Hurricane #Harvey begins its approach to the Texas gulf coast, ServiceMaster Restore disaster experts are urging people in the area to stay alert and take immediate steps to protect their property.
According to its 2017 ServiceMaster Restore Weather Emergency Survey, nearly 40 percent of homeowners surveyed admitted to having no idea how to prepare their homes for a potential weather emergency. In addition, the survey found that:
- Less than one third of homeowners prep their home before a potential weather emergency.
- Fewer than one in five homeowners review their homeowner’s insurance policy ahead of a weather emergency.
“In weather events like this, it’s critical for people to pay attention to local weather warnings and prepare their homes and businesses now – it can’t wait,” said Peter Duncanson, director of operations for ServiceMaster Restore, one of the largest disaster restoration companies in the United States and a ServiceMaster (NYSE: SERV) company.
One of the best resources, he says, is the American Red Cross Emergency app, which is sponsored by ServiceMaster. The free app provides expert advice on what to do before, during and after a range of disasters, includes maps of nearby shelters, and notification capabilities to let friends and family know that you’re safe. To download, text “GETEMERGENCY” to 90999, search “American Red Cross” in the app store or go to redcross.org/apps.
Flooding and high winds from Hurricane #Harvey have the potential to cause significant property damage, but Duncanson said that local ServiceMaster Restore franchises and other franchisees mobilized from across the nation are prepared to assist home and business owners as they start the restoration process.
Duncanson shares five important things residents need to know and do:
- Make electronic copies of important documents, and take pictures of your home and its contents to use with insurance providers after damage has occurred.
- Update your contact lists to include key phone numbers such as insurance providers, emergency response agencies, and professional restoration companies that immediately assist with damage. Be aware of contractors promising to rebuild, especially if they ask for a deposit and say they can collect the remaining balance from your insurance company. Do your due diligence and rely on trusted, professional companies.
- Follow the advice of your local utility company and be prepared to turn off water, gas and electric service if asked to evacuate or flooding is imminent.
- To protect drywall from excessive water damage, lift draperies off carpets, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod if water begins to enter your home.
- Outside your home, keep mulch away from the foundations to minimize the risk of water standing near the building and possibly reduce the risk of leaking into basement areas. Also check for loose or low-hanging branches that could easily fall and damage your home and secure things like patio furniture.
ServiceMaster Restore professionals are trained, equipped and ready to repair and clean homes and businesses before, during and after any severe storm.
For immediate assistance and cleanup, call a live ServiceMaster Restore operator 24/7 at 1 800 RESPOND. To find a location, visit ServiceMasterRestore.com. For expert tips, visit the ServiceMaster Restore blog, YouTube or like us on Facebook.
About ServiceMaster Restore
With approximately 2,000 franchised and licensed locations around the world, ServiceMaster Restore and ServiceMaster Recovery Management (SRM) serve customers through a global network of franchises available 24/7/365 to provide residential and commercial restoration services resulting from damage caused by water, fire, smoke or mold. SRM is the large scale commercial catastrophic disaster restoration unit of ServiceMaster Restore. ServiceMaster Restore and SRM have operations and consulting experience on countless disasters, including clean-up after Hurricane Katrina and the Pentagon after September 11, 2001. ServiceMaster Restore is a business unit of Memphis-based ServiceMaster Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: SERV), a leading provider of essential residential and commercial services. More information can be found at www.servicemasterrestore.com and http://www.srmcat.com/. ServiceMaster Restore is the Official Disaster Restoration Specialist of Minor League Baseball™.
ServiceMaster (NYSE: SERV) solves the homeowner’s dilemma. Every day, we visit more than 75,000 homes and businesses through our extensive service network of expert professionals. Technology powers our trusted experts to engage with customers so they can order, buy and receive services when, where and how they want them. Our well-recognized brands includes American Home Shield (home warranties), AmeriSpec (home inspections), Furniture Medic (furniture repair), Merry Maids (residential cleaning), ServiceMaster Clean (janitorial and residential floor cleaning), ServiceMaster Restore (disaster restoration) and Terminix (termite and pest control). Like, follow or visit us at facebook.com/ServiceMaster, linkedin.com/ServiceMaster, twitter.com/ServiceMaster, or servicemaster.com. ServiceMaster is the Official Home Services Provider of Minor League Baseball™.